Clayton County Commercial Beautification and Improvement Grant Program/Guidelines
The Clayton County Office of Economic Development has allocated America Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) grant funds to the Commercial Beautification and Improvement Grant Program to assist owners of commercial property with repair, enhancement and improvement for commercial properties within Clayton County. The Clayton County Strategic Economic Development Plan specifies a need for beautification to attract new business and investment to Clayton County. The goal of this grant is to improve the overall attractiveness of high traffic corridors in Clayton County.
- Promote a consistently high-quality commercial environment that will be attractive to residents and visitors
- Promote retail to service activities and increase tenant occupancy within our shopping centers
- Create an attractive environment where residents, visitors and business owners gain a sense of civic pride
- Promoting additional improvements by the participants, and neighboring properties
- The applicant must be up to date on all permits, taxes, and other fees.
- Only one application and property per owner
- The grant will only fund projects that improve the visual appearance of the property from the street or other public space.
- Eligible improvements include:
- Painting, including an exterior mural
- Building surface repairs i.e. brick, siding, limestone, stucco etc.
- Landscaping i.e. ornamental, decorative planters, flowerbeds etc.
- Exterior Lighting/LED lighting
- Windows, doors, framing, etc.
- Signage, canopies, awnings, etc.
- Gates, fencing, landscaping, etc.
- Cosmetic repairs
- Properties must be less than 75,000 SF
- Outparcels are allowed
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Property must be zoned for general business, mixed use, or commercial
- Applicants must be in good standing with Clayton County on all tax property taxes
- Shopping centers and commercial properties must have 50% or greater occupancy
Ineligible Applicants include:
- Properties that DO NOT QUALIFY: package stores, adult entertainment shops, gambling activities, gas stations, financial institutions, gun/weapon shops, religious institutions or public agencies.
- Residential or Industrial Properties.
- Properties that are currently under contract, foreclosure or sale
Ineligible Repairs Include:
- Interior improvements
- Architectural design and planning services
- Operations and inventory
- HVAC, plumbing, and other system repair
- Roof Repair
- Construction Permit Fees
- Commercial improvements expenses that were incurred prior to grant approval notification
|December 8, 2023
|INFORMATIONAL MEETING WITH PROPERTY OWNERS
|December 8, 2023
|APPLICATIONS WILL OPEN
|March 2, 2024
|Applications are reviewed by the Clayton County Beautification Committee
|April 2, 2024
|Award recipients will be notified
|November 30, 2024
|All projects must be completed
Eligible commercial property owners may apply for grants up to $75,000 that can be used for exterior improvements to their commercial property. This grant is intended for retail shopping centers, but other commercial properties may also qualify for funding. A match is required for eligibility. The match must be equal to or greater than 25% of the funds requested. The match may be in the form of proof of exterior improvements within the last 3 years or additional repairs outside of the funds requested.
Grant Application Process
- Applications will be received by the Clayton County Office of Economic Development until March 2, 2024.
- The completed applications will be reviewed by the Clayton County Beautification Committee.
- The property owner will need to sign the articles of agreement for the county.
- The property owner/applicant will submit invoices and photos of the projects to the Clayton County Office of Economic Development Grant Administrator. Checks will be made payable directly to contractors.
- Projects will be need to be completed by November 30, 2024.
Application Scoring Criteria
The criteria to evaluate includes:
- If the overall proposal advances the goals of improving the building’s appearance.
- The original condition of the building and the need for the proposed change.
- The impact of the project on the street and in the neighborhood
- Owner-occupied commercial buildings will be given preference in this application.
- The quality of the proposed work
- The project timeline
- Duration of ownership.
- Clayton County Residency
- Clayton County recommended vendors/contractorsClayton County will not require property owners to select local contractors for the Commercial Beautification and Improvement Grant Program, but property owners are encouraged to select local Clayton County based contractors.A list of Clayton County based contractors can be found at Clayton County Central Services and Clayton County Chamber of Commerce. Clayton County shall have no liability for workmanship, design, or construction related to the project receiving grant funds under this program.Clayton County Central Services SLBE/MWBE List
SLBE-MWBE MASTER VENDOR LIST 3-08-23.xlsx (claytoncountyga.gov)
Clayton County Water Authority Certified SLBE List
Clayton County Chamber of Commerce Business Directory:
The application form is available online at: https://businessgrants.claytoncountyga.gov/
The application must be completed and include all the following items:
- A description of the proposed improvement
- Current photographs of the current facade/property to be improved
- Proof of ownership (such as deed or tax records)
- Proposed project timeline
- Project Budget
- Quotes/estimates for the proposed improvements supplied to the applicant by the contractor (minimum of two quotes)
- List of existing tenants with lease expiration dates
- Match Requirements
- Invoices and proof of payment for property improvements within the last 3 years
Grant Information Documents